Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lessons Learned

Gentle Readers, as I have now been here for over a month, the time has come to reflect on what I have learned. Months, like many things that start with “M,” such as mirrors and mud, can be highly reflective and useful for looking around corners. That being said, I will be reviewing 8 lessons that I have learned. Feel free to jot these down for when you come to visit.

 
Lesson 1: Look right. No matter how insistently the street visually warns you to look right, sometimes it is not enough to counter 22 years of looking left. It also doesn’t help that none of the cars on the road have drivers. Just a passenger. Clearly they should not be moving, but they are. (In case I die by being struck down by a rogue driver-less car because I didn’t look right, I want a pipe-band at my funeral.)


Lesson 2: Look right twice. Sometimes even though you do look right, there are these buses that have a strange ability to sneak up on you. My theory is that there is a bus training complex that grooms giant, double-decker, red buses into giant, double-decker, red, ninja buses. You wouldn’t guess it from their size and ungainly flat front, but these ninja buses can appear out of thin air without making any noise. In summary, look right twice unless you want to be assassinated by a double-decker ninja bus.

Lesson 3: Not every old lady you see is Judi Dench.

Lesson 4: Not every old man you see is Gordon Brown.

Lesson 5: “Pop into the loo” before you leave anywhere. It can take a long time to make it from Point A to Point B and this is not a land overflowing with easily accessible public toilets.

Lesson 6: Listening to Beyonce can fix… a lot of stuff.

Lesson 7: There comes a time when you have to throw some elbows. Let me set up the scenario for you. Commuter rush hour. Bond Street Station. You didn’t realize until the last second that this was your stop. And there is a humid mass of humanity between you and the closing train doors. Here’s what you do. Grab your bag, clutch it to your chest, yell “excuse me” in a pseudo-British accent, press forward with your shoulder first, prying people apart with your elbows (think like a wedge. this is key), mind the gap when you finally tumble out onto the station platform, readjust your shoulder bag/regain your dignity.


Lesson 8: Reading the Morning Metro over somebody's shoulder in the tube is not a good way to stay current on world events. Apart from the obvious difficulties, "ah man. i wasn't finished reading about The Girl Who Eats Bricks," the British don't seem to ever write about anything relevant. Not that it isn't informative and conversation prompting. "No. way. Another rutting stag attack in Bushy Park? That's the third this month. This is becoming an epidemic!" "Oh good. That poor old lady's spaniel came back. It swallowed a conker, apparently. Thank goodness it is alright." You see what I mean? But somehow I can't seem to stop myself doing it.


And there you have it. Clear as mud, right?


4 comments:

  1. Claire, you are a gem. You just have me laughing! I'm glad you're not dead. Sounds like you've had some close encounters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Claire, as are you! You are a talented writer. Keep blogging! I love England! I will forever try to convince McKay that we need to retire in England. If only he still had his Scottish citizenship (he had to denounce it when he joined the US military). I drove once in England and about had a heart-attack at ever turn. I'll stick to the right side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire bell, this brings back my memories of England! I soon learned to look both ways several times no matter the country.
    I know exactly what you mean about the buses. I think the best story is when Nina had a close encounter in Italy. The roads are extremely narrow and there were vehicles parked on either side. I can still see Nina with her unique determined bouncing walk heading to the center of the crosswalk where she abruptly turned to the right at let out a blood curdling scream. Although she was right in the middle she turned back are retraced her steps in an instant. Momentarily a large double decker bus passed. The best part was the driver doubled over his oversize steering wheel in a fit of laughter. Not to mention the rest of the passengers pointing out the window and laughing. A truly epic moment. Although Nina hates this story I had to share it with you! I love you! stay safe! Good luck! Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha oh Claire, you never cease to bring a smile to my face. Or to make me rotfl (that's roll on the floor laughing... i just learned what that meant). I miss you oh so much, my dear. It sounds like you are doing very well in London. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete