Friday, September 30, 2011

Haggis Nips & Tatties


Yes. I went to Scotland. Yes. I ate several helpings of haggis nips & tatties. Yes. I loved it. No. I did not know what it was.
But back to the topic on hand: Scotland. A country inhabited by the most hospitable people I’ve ever met. And such nice accents, too. The visit consisted primarily of walking. Walking the Royal Mile up to Edinburgh Castle, walking in the footsteps of William Wallace....



walking to the Royal Botanical Gardens...











walking off our city map and walking up Arthur’s Seat for some spectacular vistas...








 then walking back into the city and walking into a crowded pub where I ordered a round of ginger beer, fish and chips and haggis nips & tatties. I just can’t seem to get enough of the stuff.





To top off the whole weekend, I spent the train ride back to London reading Emerson’s Essays. Being abroad has brought out an insatiable appetite for American philosophy and literature. So here’s to a little bit of transcendentalism in the heart of the motherland!


And in case I have piqued your imagination I will divulge the secret of haggis, compliments of wiki:

Haggis is a dish containing sheep’s ‘pluck’ (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally simmered in the animal’s stomach for approximately three hours.


I had sneaking suspicion, so I didn’t ask what it was until after my last serving. 

4 comments:

  1. Claire, you have a talent for writing. I hope you keep this blog up! I am looking forward to living vicariously through you! By the way, I think the picture of you under the umbrella could win awards. SO cute. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzer. ( Did I tell you Harrison used that word in his job interview? Yipes.) Claire, you are living the dream!!! I absolutely love it. So glad you are there. Keep this up! I love to see what you are seeing. You may want to tame the spirit of adventure just a tid bit. Dinner looked awful. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stalking...I LOVED neeps and tatties with haggis when I was in Scotland. Your blog is amusing. I will continue to stalk it, so watch out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that you made it to the land of my ancestors! haha. I liked haggis once too, until I learned what it really was. Scotland is so grand. If you ever go back, try to get out to Stirling, where the William Wallace monument is (you can see his sword!). And it's also very beautiful. I hope to get back to Scotland someday. Lucky you! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete